Post may contain affiliate links, see my full disclosure policy for more details 🙂
Healthy gluten-free muffins- with fresh blueberries and a big protein boost!
There’s just something to be said about starting the day with some kind of warm, melt-in-your mouth breakfast treat! Paired with a steaming hot cup of coffee, it’s literally a heavenly combination! The whole experience is enough to actually make me look forward to morning (well, sort-of!).
I’ve been searching for some time, with not much luck, for a lightened-up take on the traditional muffin recipe- something not high in processed-sugars, macro-friendly, and a bit of protein to help me start my day on the right foot.
Unfortunately most of what I found was a far cry from the “muffin” I knew and loved. Either the end result was too-thin/watered down, or it just tasted bland! …So I created my own!
These muffins are thick, with a cake-like consistency and texture! They are sweetened with natural sweeteners like honey & applesauce; and even better they freeze well- meaning I can make plenty ahead of time and unthaw throughout the week so every morning is enjoyable!
Warm in the microwave for a few seconds and add an extra bit of honey or a hint of maple syrup to really elevate the taste!
You’ll never do breakfast the same way again!
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 4 scoops Level-1 Vanilla Ice Cream Protein Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Whisk eggs, milk, coconut oil, applesauce, honey, vanilla & vinegar in medium bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine coconut flour, protein powder, salt, and baking powder. Stir until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Add dry ingredients to original bowl. Mix well. Stir in blueberries. Scoop mixture into greased muffin tin. Tins should be approx. 2/3 full each.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- Lessen the fat in this recipe by using 1 full egg & 3 egg whites instead.
- While I used skim milk, almond or cashew milk will also work fine in this recipe.
- If you plan on using frozen blueberries, allow time for them to unthaw before adding directly to recipe.
- Don’t be afraid to dress up this recipe by adding a dash of cinnamon on top before serving or drizzle on some honey! The possibilities are truly endless!
- In case you were wondering- the macros for this recipe are as follows- Calories | 212/serving. Carbs | 13.6 g. Protein | 12 g. and Fat | 12 g.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have. Please leave your questions, suggestions, recommendations, etc. in the comments below! As always I love hearing from you!